Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Woodmen of the World

 
 
Woodmen of the World Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. Woodmen of the World Marker
Inscription. Built to be used by the Fraternal Order of the Eagles, this building was later bought by the Woodmen of the World for their fraternal organization. The second floor housed a grand ballroom and stage, while the top floor was a large banquet hall and kitchen. Many spectacular balls, dances, initiation rites and formal dinners were held in the building over the years. The Structure is basically Italianate in style, but the rounded windows on the third floor and the entrance to the lodge hall with thick columns surmounted by a grand arch are in the style of Richardsonian Romanesque (See the entrance to the Bowman Hotel as an example of this style.) Some of the tenants on the first floor over the years were: The Round-Up Cafe, the Selective Service Local Board No. 25 and Jim's Market, which offered home delivery four time a day.
Woodmen of the World is a fraternal organization and was founded in 1890 in Omaha, Nebraska by Joseph Cullen Root. One of the most enduring physical legacies of the organization may be the number of distinctive cemetery headstones made in the shape of a tree stump. This was an early benefit of Woodmen membership, and the headstones can be found in cemeteries across the nation. The Pendleton chapter of the fraternal organization had this building built in 1905.
 
Erected by
Woodmen of the World and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. Woodmen of the World and Marker
The marker is to the left of the entrance.
City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.382′ N, 118° 47.161′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is on Southeast Court Avenue near Southeast 2st Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 Southeast Court Avenue, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. LaDow Block (within shouting distance of this marker); R.F. Renn Building (within shouting distance of this marker); DeSpain Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Rohrman Bakery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Haw Building (about 300 feet away); Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); Judd Block (about 300 feet away); The Peoples Warehouse (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement