Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Judd Block

 
 
Judd Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. Judd Block Marker
Inscription. Designed by a Hartford, Connecticut firm, and constructed by T.F. Howard for Fredrick Judd, this building uses native basalt stone and brick to make a bold statement. Originally, there was more ornamentation at the parapet level. The strong lintels over the first and second story windows show a trend away from the more "fussy" Italianate style. Since this building was designed back east, it reflects the tastes of the East Coast in the 1890's. In an attempt to "modernize" the building, the parapet level was removed and replaced with unadorned brick. The one-over-one double-hung windows are capped by basalt lintels with a keystone element providing the Georgian Style look to the building. Prominent doctors and lawyers of Pendleton maintained offices on the second floor of this building in the early years. The Judd Block replaced an earlier three story wooden hotel that was located on the lot. The Villard House, built by railroad magnate Henry Villard in the 1880's, served the railroad and stage traffic. Villard sold off his hotels when he bought the Edison Lamp Company and the Edison Machine Works which he combined to form Edison General Electric Company which, in turn, became the General Electric Company. By 1893, David Horne sold the vacant lot for $10,000. T.F. Howard, the contractor for the Judd Block also designed the Judd Home at
Judd Block and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. Judd Block and Marker
The marker is to the right of the arched entry-way. Look for the pedestrian.
3 NE Ellis Avenue. Both the Block and the home were completed about the same time.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Location. 45° 40.371′ N, 118° 47.237′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is at the intersection of Southeast Court Avenue and Southeast 1st Street, on the right when traveling west on Southeast Court Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7 Southeast Court Avenue, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. DeSpain Block (within shouting distance of this marker); The Peoples Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Club Cigar Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); R.F. Renn Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Chief Clarence T. Burke (within shouting distance of this marker); State Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Milarkey Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Sundown (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Judd Block image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
3. Judd Block
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   3. submitted on December 20, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Paid Advertisement