Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Columbus Square

 
 
Columbus Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 2008
1. Columbus Square Marker
Inscription. Near this point the Darien & Western Railroad reached its terminus in 1895 after six years of construction. Trains arrived daily at Columbus Square then turned around for a return trip to Tattnall County. The D&W later became the Georgia Coast & Piedmont and a depot was built in 1914 at the Darien waterfront when the rail line was extended to Brunswick. Until then Columbus Square was the transportation hub of Darien
 
Erected by City of Darien.
 
Location. 31° 22.244′ N, 81° 25.922′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is at the intersection of Madison Street and Franklin Street, on the left when traveling east on Madison Street. Touch for map. On the south side of Franklin Square. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Darien's Railroad and Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oglethorpe Oak (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Oglethorpe Oak (about 700 feet away); New Inverness (about 700 feet away); McIntosh County
Columbus Square Marker at the Square image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Columbus Square Marker at the Square
(about 800 feet away); Methodists at Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Bank of Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
 
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry for the Darien and Western Railroad. In 1894 the Darien and Western Railroad was established to take over operations of the Darien Short Line which had gone bankrupt. The D&W operated a 32-mile (51 km) line between Darien and Middleton, Georgia, USA, beginning in 1895 and then as far as Ludowici, Georgia, in 1904. It became part of a multi-railroad merger in 1906 that resulted in the Georgia Coast and Piedmont Railroad. (Submitted on September 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Wikipedia entry for the Georgia Coast and Piedmont Railroad. In 1906 the Collins and Reidsville Railroad, the Reidsville and Southeastern Railroad and the Darien and Western Railroad merged to form the Georgia Coast and Piedmont Railroad. The railroad operated mainly on a line between Collins and Darien, Georgia, USA, extending to Brunswick in 1914. In 1915, the railroad went bankrupt and in 1919
Columbus Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Columbus Square Marker
a portion of the railroad was sold to became the Collins and Glennville Railroad. (Submitted on September 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksNotable PlacesRailroads & Streetcars
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 862 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement