Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Volkach in Landkreis Kitzingen, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
 

Kirche Mariä Schutz / Church of the Assumption

 
 
Kirche Mariä Schutz / Church of the Assumption Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 29, 2017
1. Kirche Mariä Schutz / Church of the Assumption Marker
Inscription. Die heutige Kirche Mariä Schutz wurde auf den Grundmauern des ursprünglichen Klosters der Karmeliten aus dem 13. Jahrhundert errichtet. Auf die Besiedelung durch die Karmeliten weist ein Wappen des Ordens über dem ehemaligen Kirchenportal hin.

Im Jahr 1895 gelangte die Vogelsburg in den Besitz des Würzburger Privatiers Georg Josef Walter, der seiner Tochter Philippine auftrug, hier ein geistiges und religiöses Zentrum zu errichten. Ihrer wird mit der Gedenktafel (links an der Mauer) gedacht. Philippine Walter übertrug die Vogelsburg 1957 an die Gemeinschaft der Augustinusschwestern.

Am 1. Januar 2011 erfolgte der Eigentumswechsel zur Stiftung Juliusspital Würzburg, die den Innenraum der Kirche in den Jahren 2015/16 im Rahmen einer Generalsanierung der gesamten Anlage neu gestalten ließ.

[English translation:]
The current Church of the Assumption was built on the foundations of a 13th century Carmelite Convent. The Carmelite Order coat of arms above the church door recalls the Carmelite settlement.

The Vogelsburg (the name for this place) passed into private possession in 1895 to Georg Josef Walter of Würzburg, who ordered his daughter Philippine to build a spiritual and religious center here. This is commemorated by a plaque on the wall (on the left). In 1957, Philippine

Kirche Mariä Schutz / Church of the Assumption and Marker - Wide View image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 29, 2017
2. Kirche Mariä Schutz / Church of the Assumption and Marker - Wide View
Walter transferred the Vogelsburg to the community of the Augustinian Sisters.

On January 1, 2011, ownership was transferred to the Juliusspital Foundation of Würzburg, who had the interior of the church redesigned as part of a general refurbishment of the entire facility during 2015-16.
 
Location. 49° 52.04′ N, 10° 10.994′ E. Marker is in Volkach, Bavaria, in Landkreis Kitzingen. Marker can be reached from Vogelsburg just from Volkacher Strasse (St2260). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Vogelsburg 1, Volkach, Bavaria 97332, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pfarrkirche St. Bartholomäus / St. Bartholomew's Parish Church (approx. 3.1 kilometers away); Von Rechtswegen über das Menschenblut zu richten / A Legal Process Driven by Human Blood (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Peter Ochs, Metzler / Peter Ochs, the Butcher (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Und Davor ein Kapellchen und Almosenstock / And for that a Chapel and Begging Stick (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Bei einem Backofen / At the Baker's Oven (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Peter Geist (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); Dettelbach City Hall (approx. 7.4 kilometers away); Dettelbach Synagogue (approx. 7.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Volkach.
 
Also see . . .  Kirche Mariä Schutz Geschichte (Stiftung Juliusspital, in German). German-language history of the Vogelsburg. (Submitted on December 19, 2017.) 
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.
Paid Advertisement