There were further problems early on, on the north side, where the immensely wealthy duke of Chandos had originally wanted to build "the greatest town house in Europe". An engraving survives showing the design by John Price for this sumptuous mansion, but it was never built, being a victim of the South Sea Bubble in 1720. The Duke was able to build two existing Palladian houses which were built by George Tufnell.
The bridge over Dean's Mews which links the houses, was designed after the war for the convent of the Holy Child Jesus by Louis Osman. Jacob Epstein's sculpture
Until 1906 the largest house in the square was Harcourt House which occupied most of the west side. It was replaced by the block of apartments of the same name. Since the bomb damage of the last war and subsequent rebuilding, the south side of the square has become more closely linked to Oxford Street. Originally it too consisted of large private houses similar to those on the east side which attracted the wealthy and fashionable.
Blue plaques record some of the many famous and interesting people who lived in the square. Among others who should be mentioned are Princess Amelia, the mildly eccentric daughter of George II who lived at no. 16, the corner house, (1761-80); and a succession of artists including Frances Gotes (1769-70) George Romney (1776-97) and Sir Martin Archer Shee (1799-1850) at no. 32, now demolished. Here Romney painted many of his portraits of Emma Haile (who became Lady Hamilton). The 5th Duke of Portland lived at Portland Harcourt House and was a wealthy bachelor whose concern for security caused him to erect glass screens rising 80 feet above the ground, running for 200 feet in length on either side of the back garden. Lord Asquith, who is better known as Mr Asquith, lived on the west side of Cavendish Square at no. 20 from 1894, and owned the house until 1919, although
In the early days the Square was provided with a central plot of green turf upon which sheep were allowed to graze. Later, the green area was replaced by a garden designed by Charles Bridgeman, the famous landscaping gardener, a contemporary of Capability Brown and Humphrey Repton. The statue of the Duke of Cumberland, second son of George II shown on a prancing charger, was erected in 1770 and removed in 1868. Today, only the stone base complete with its inscription remains. The statue of Lord George Bentinck (1802-48), descendant of Lord Harley, devotee of the Turf, and politician, is by Thomas Campbell, 1851.
The present layout of the garden dates from 1971 when the underground car park was built under Cavendish Square by Westminster City Council, The principal species of tree found in Cavendish Square is the London Plane (Platanus x hispanica), a tree introduced into England in 1680 and widely planted in Victorian London as it thrived in a polluted atmosphere. Cavendish Square and the surrounding estate belongs today to the Howard de Walden family, descendants of Lord Harley. The gardens are managed and maintained by Westminster City Council.
Erected by City of Westminster.
Location. 51° 30.992′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Josef Dallos (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Jonathan Hutchinson (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Ronald Ross (within shouting distance of this marker); George Edmund Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Quintin Hogg (within shouting distance of this marker); Herbert Henry Asquith (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Sir Frederick Treves (about 180 meters away); Sir George Frederic Still (about 240 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of Westminster.
More about this marker. The marker is found in the middle of Cavendish Square Gardens.
Also see . . . Cavendish Square (Wikipedia). "Cavendish Square is a public square in the West End of London, very close to Oxford Circus, where the two main shopping thoroughfares of Oxford Street and Regent Street meet. It is located at the eastern end of Wigmore Street, which connects it to Portman Square, part of the Portman Estate, to its west....Cavendish Square features in Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde as the home of Dr Lanyon, Jekyll's former best friend." (Submitted on December 19, 2017.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 19, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 19, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.