St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pedro Horruytiner y Pueyo was the first documented owner of this house, a member of a prominent Spanish family. Don Pedro Benedit Horruytiner and Don Luis de Horruytiner were governors of Florida during the First Spanish Period (1565-1763). It remained in their family until the time of the British occupation in 1763. Through the centuries many distinguished Spanish, British and American military, government and professional leaders have resided here.
This home, one of the oldest in St. Augustine, has 12” thick exterior and interior walls constructed of “Coquina,” a porous native shell stone. It has survived storms and fires that engulfed the city in earlier years. The house and courtyard wall, built right up to the street, reflect requirements of royal decrees for New World towns issued by the King of Spain in 1573.
In the southeast corner of the courtyard wall is a section of “Tabby” which is made of whole oyster shells. It is the last known free-standing wall of this type in St. Augustine dating back to the First Spanish Period.
Location. 29° 53.502′ N, 81° Touch for map. Marker is mounted directly on subject building, near the southeast corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 Saint George Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Parish Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Young Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); 31 King Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Segui-Kirby Smith House (about 300 feet away); 8-inch Columbiad (about 300 feet away); Plaza de la Constitución (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . .
1. Don Pedro Horruytiner House.
A house can be identified on the site with some degree of certainty at the time of the first Spanish evacuation in 1763. This is described as a "house of stone" belonging to Don Pedro Benedit Horruytiner y Pueyo. When Charles Howard bought the property from Robert Gatherwood in 1785, he described the house as "uninhabitable." When Howard sold the property to (Submitted on December 21, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Pedro Benedit Horruytiner.
Pedro Benedit Horruytiner was appointed acting co-governor of Florida on 11 April 1646. Horruytiner's term as interim governor of Florida ended on 8 January 1648; he was reappointed as governor on 19 October 1651. He retired on 18 June 1654, and was replaced by Diego de Rebolledo. Horruytiner died at the age of 71 on November 20, 1684, still in the service of the Spanish Crown. (Submitted on December 21, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Casa Horruytiner-Bessey on historic St. George Street.
Located in the heart of St. Augustine's historic districts, this circa 1732 residence was home to the first Royal Spanish Governor. The exterior walls for the first and second floors and the first floor interior walls are solid coquina, a native stone quarried locally and used for construction. (Submitted on December 21, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 20, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 20, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3, 4. submitted on December 21, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.