Huntsville in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of First Masonic Lodge Building
Forrest Lodge No. 19, A.F & A.M., erected its first lodge building at this site early in 1850 on a lot measuring 50 by 75 feet purchased in 1849. The two-story white frame building was 50 feet square with five plastered brick columns in front. Lodge meetings were held upstairs, and the lower floor was leased for retail purposes. Sam Houston was a member of this lodge from 1851 through 1854. The Masonic Grand Lodge of Texas met here in June 1858. After the building was destroyed by fire on December 27, 1881, members of the lodge made immediate plans to replace it with a brick building, which was completed late in 1883. Within a year six other fraternal organizations also were meeting in the building. In 1895 Forrest Lodge purchased a lot on Twelfth Street to accommodate a future, larger building. The new location was occupied in June 1909, a few months after the property at this site had been sold to several Huntsville businessmen.
Erected 1998 by Citizens of Huntsville, Texas.
Location. 30° 43.434′ N, 95° 33.059′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is on 11th Street (U.S. 190) east of Sam Houston Avenue (State Highway 75), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Stand-alone
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Gibbs Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Sam Houston Whittling Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker County (within shouting distance of this marker); The Five Courthouses of Walker County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cornerstone of the Fourth Courthouse (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Walker County (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Sam Houston Whittling Site (about 400 feet away); Forrest Lodge No. 19, A.F. & A.M. (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntsville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Forrest Masonic Lodge No. 19, A. F. & A. M.
Forrest Lodge has continuously served the Huntsville and Walker County, Texas, community for over 173 years. Link includes a picture of the first meeting place of the lodge, which was on the second floor of the first brick building constructed in Huntsville. The building (Submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Forrest Masonic Lodge No. 19.
In 1843, a local merchant and postmaster, Alexander McDonald, constructed Huntsville’s first brick building, which had a “simple rectangle[r] shape with three dormer windows at the attic level.” Located at what is now the southeast corner of University Avenue and 12th Street, the first floor of the building housed McDonald’s store, which offered a variety of goods for the local community. On the second floor, McDonald and other Freemasons conducted their meetings for the Forrest Masonic Lodge No. 19. Chartered on January 11, 1844, with nine Masons, the lodge predated the formation of Walker County and ranked as the eighth oldest lodge in Texas. (Submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. A.F.& A.M. Forrest Lodge No. 19.
The upper floor of a store owned by Alexander McDonald, the first worshipful master, served as an early meeting place. A two-story lodge hall on the north side of the square, built in 1850, was destroyed by fire in 1881. It was replaced by a brick building near the corner of University and 11th Street in 1883. (Submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.