Anderson in Grimes County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Grimes County, C.S.A.
Civil War military concentration point for troops and ordnance. Rich farm land. By 1861 densely populated. Favored secession by 907 to 9 vote. Sent 5 cavalry, 4 infantry companies to Confederate Army.
Arms and ordnance works at Anderson produced cannon, cannon balls, guns, pistols, swords, sabers, bayonets, and gunpowder. Military telegraph line from Houston to Marshall crossed the county.
Five men charged with treason against the Confederacy were held in 1864 in Anderson Jail, under the wartime suspension of habeas corpus, in constant peril of mob violence. People were relieved when these men were deported to Mexico by the military.
Cotton, "Gold of the South,” and food were produced in abundance. Cotton hauled to Mexico by local men was traded for goods vital to the Confederacy. Yet shortages occurred. For lack of paper, The Rev. George W. Baines of Anderson (great-grandfather of President Lyndon B. Johnson) suspended "The Texas Baptist,” first state organ for that church.
In 1865 the Piedmont Springs Resort Hotel, 7 miles to the west, became headquarters and hospital for Walker's division on its return from Louisiana where it helped prevent a Federal invasion of Texas.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker
Location. 30° 29.335′ N, 95° 59.227′ W. Marker is in Anderson, Texas, in Grimes County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (State Highway 429) and Buffington Lane, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on east side of the Grimes County Court Annex building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 273 Buffington Lane, Anderson TX 77830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Grimes County (within shouting distance of this marker); Grimes County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Jesse Grimes and Mathew Caldwell (within shouting distance of this marker); Rocky Creek Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington-on-the-Brazos (approx. 15.1 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Grimes County. There was virtually no voice in Grimes County raised in opposition to the secessionist movement during the crisis of 1860 and 1861. Hundreds of county residents volunteered for service in Confederate and state military units. State formations to which local companies were attached included the Second, Fourth, Eighth, and Fourteenth Texas Infantry and the Twenty-first Texas Cavalry. In 1861 a munitions factory specializing in small armaments was constructed two miles west of Anderson, employing dozens of adults and a number of children. (Submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 24, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.