Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Benning in Chattahoochee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Lafayette Monument

 
 
The Lafayette Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 23, 2017
1. The Lafayette Monument Marker
Inscription.
Along the Federal Road
built in 1811
east and west through
this place
there passed in 1825
Lafayette
Soldier of France and
volunteer in the cause
of American Liberty
“At the first news my heart was enrolled”

Here stood
the
Indian village
Kasihta
Peace Town
of the
Lower Creek Nation

At the mouth of
Upatoi Creek
on
this reservation
The Battle
of
Hitchiti
was fought in 1836
between
Creek Indians
and Georgia Militia

Tablet erected in 1926 by the Georgia Daughters of the American Revolution

 
Erected 1926 by Georgia Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 32° 21.822′ N, 84° 57.412′ W. Marker is in Fort Benning, Georgia, in Chattahoochee County. Marker is at the intersection of Lumpkin Road and Sigerfoos Road, on the right when traveling north on Lumpkin Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Benning GA 31905, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Benning / Fort Benning Military Reservation
The Lafayette Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 23, 2017
2. The Lafayette Monument Marker
The Kasihta tablet of the three-sided monument
(about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); China Gate (about 500 feet away); "The Buffaloes" (approx. 0.3 miles away); "Riverside" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dwight David Eisenhower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Post Headquarters -- JAG (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gowdy Field (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Benning - Station Hospital / National Infantry Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Benning.
 
Also see . . .  The Lafayette Monument at Fort Benning. The Lafayette Monument (formerly known as the “DAR Monument”) was built in 1926. It consists of three bronze plaques mounted on a concrete pedestal. This is the oldest monument on Fort Benning. The two local chapters of the Daughters of the American Revolution contributed the plaques and Fort Benning engineers built the concrete monument. The plaques commemorate GEN Lafayette, Kasihta (Creek village) and the Battle of Hitchiti. The monument started as only the three plaques affixed to the old post flag pole base in the traffic circle at the Wold / Sigerfoos intersection. This configuration was originally
The Lafayette Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 23, 2017
3. The Lafayette Monument Marker
The Battle of Hitchiti tablet of the three-sided monument
intended to be permanent, but for unknown reasons was completely changed within a few months: Post Engineers built the present concrete pedestal on another traffic island, in the intersection of Lauber Ave and Sigerfoos St., and the 3 plaques were transferred. In 1929 the monument was moved to its present location.
(Submitted on December 25, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.) 
 
Categories. Native AmericansWar, US RevolutionaryWars, US Indian
 
The Lafayette Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 23, 2017
4. The Lafayette Monument Marker
The Lafayette Monument Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 23, 2017
5. The Lafayette Monument Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 25, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 25, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement