Burton in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Burton Farmers Gin
In December 1913 a group of local farmers met to organize the Burton Farmers Gin Association. This two-story corrugated metal-clad gin building was constructed in 1914. The gin's machinery was steam-powered until 1925, when an oil engine was installed. The only cotton gin in town after 1948, it continued operations through 1974. The Burton Farmers Gin is one of the few remaining complete gin and mill complexes in the United States.
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8317.)
Location. 30° 10.792′ N, 96° 35.633′ W. Marker is in Burton, Texas, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (State Highway 125) north of West Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Historical Marker and Texas Historical Medallion, along with National Register of Historic Places & National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark Plaques, are mounted directly on the subject building, at eye-level, adjacent to the door at the southeast corner of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 North Main Street, Burton TX 77835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Burton Farmers Gin 1914 (here, next to this marker); Burton Community (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of St. Paul-Rehburg School (approx. 4.1 miles away); Greenvine Gas Discovery (approx. 5 miles away); Gideon Lincecum (approx. 5.4 miles away); Winedale Stagecoach Inn (approx. 7.1 miles away); Waul's Texas Legion Campsite (approx. 7.7 miles away); Nassau Plantation (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
Regarding Burton Farmers Gin. Texas Historic Landmark (1988), National Register of Historic Places (1991), National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark (1994)
Also see . . .
1. Burton Farmers Gin. The Burton Farmers Gin represents the turn of the century revolution of cotton ginning from a labor intensive operation to the system gin which was powered by a single engine. It represents a mechanical age before the industrial use of power, and is the oldest surviving example of Robert Munger’s concept of an integrated system of processing cotton from the wagon to a completed bale. (Submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Legacy of ‘King Cotton'. The term “King Cotton” describes the crop as the main economic (Submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Burton Farmers Gin. Burton Farmers Gin was one of four gins that operated in Burton; two ceased operations by the 1910s and the Bauer Gin operated until 1948; these others are all gone. Built in 1914, the gin has gone through numerous alteration and additions. The gin has a 125-HP Bessemer engine, which replaced the original steam engine in 1926. The gin ceased operations in 1974 but its equipment remained in place, and in "magnificent" condition. (Submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
4. Texas Cotton Gin Museum. (Submitted on December 29, 2017.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 10, 11, 12. submitted on January 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.