Foggy Bottom in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Union Methodist Church
• 1846, July 1 - cornerstone laid for the Union Methodist Church, founded February 13, 1846, in the Union Fire Hall, that stood on the southeastern corner of 19th and H Street, N.W.
• 1862 - served as a hospital during the Civil War, and in 1863, a shelter for the Union Army.
• 1910 - front moved forward, stained glass windows installed.
• 1954-55 - during renovation, services held in the Circle Theaters. Membership was boosted by 1912 relocation of George Washington University on G St.; World War I, II; and IMF and World Bank presence since 1950.
• 1975, January 1 - merged with Concordia Church, 1920 G St. N.W. as the United Church, as office buildings replaced residences.
• 1985 - leased to the George Washington University
Location. 38° 54.006′ N, 77° 2.702′ W. Marker is in Foggy Bottom, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on 20th Street Northwest north of H Street NW. Touch for map. On the side of Union Chapel at The George Washington University. Marker is at or near this postal address: 814 20th Street NW, Washington DC 20052, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Seven Buildings" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington (about 300 feet George Gamow (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named George Washington (about 500 feet away); Home of James Monroe (about 500 feet away); Ingrid Bergman (was about 500 feet away but has been reported missing. ); GW's River Horse (about 500 feet away); Marquis de Lafayette Hall (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Foggy Bottom.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 27, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.