Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
General Land Oﬃce Building of 1856-57
The General Land Office building, constructed in the 1850s, housed the agency responsible for administering the stateís vast landholdings. Designed by German architect and Land Office draftsman Christoph Conrad Stremme, it is the oldest surviving state office building. The architecture blends two 19th-century revival styles: the Rundbogenstil, or round-arched style, is reflected in the windows and doors; the Norman style is reflected in the castle-like parapets. The exterior walls are limestone rubble, smoothed over with stucco, then scored to simulate cut stone blocks. By 1918, the General Land Office had moved across 11th Street to larger quarters. From 1919 to 1989, the building housed museums operated by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas and the United Daughters of the Confederacy. Following a 1989-92 architectural restoration, the building became the Capitol Complex Visitors Center.
Location. 30° 16.367′ N, 97° 44.378′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 11th Street and Brazos Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 East 11th Street, Austin TX 78701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Texas Highway Department (within shouting distance of this marker); Southern Confederacy Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Texas Capitol (about 400 feet away); Confederate Texas Legislatures (about 400 feet away); Tyler Rose (about 400 feet away); The Great Walk (about 400 feet away); The Woman Suffrage Movement in Texas (about 400 feet away); African Americans in the Texas Revolution (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Also see . . .
1. Texas Capitol Visitorís Center.
As you enter the Capital grounds, the Visitorís Center is the large castle-like building to the right. The Visitorís Center is located in the restored General Land Office Building. Built in 1856-57, it is the oldest state office building in Texas. The building opened in 1994 as the Capitol Visitors Center with the goal of educating visitors about the history of Texas. (Submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Texas Capitol Visitors Center.
Link to a excellent video presentation on the history of the General Land Office Building - the oldest state office building in Texas (Submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 69 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 27, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.