The kitchen was built c. 1840 on Bagatelle Plantation near Union, Louisiana. It served as a kitchen originally but was later converted to a schoolhouse that was run by 3 of the Tureaud sisters.
The building was changed back to a kitchen upon being moved to the Rural Life Museum in 1972. It was built from mortise-and-tenon construction, with original briquette-entre-poteaux walls and an umbrella-style, pyramidal hip roof. Although placed at the overseer's house here, it would have been the type of kitchen to serve a plantation house. Meals were prepared over an open-hearth fireplace.
Donated: given in memory of Mr. & Mrs. Francis Henderson James, Sr., by their children.
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 8.)
Location. 30° 24.624′ N, 91° 6.928′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker can be reached from Essen Lane (State Road 3064) south of Interstate 10, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Smokehouse (a few steps from this marker); Sick House (a few steps from
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum
Also see . . . LSU Rural Life Museum. (Submitted on January 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2018. 4. submitted on January 1, 2018, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.