Sewall's Point in Martin County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
In the 1890s most of the peninsula was divided into ten acre tracts that were soon purchased by wealthy Northerners who built their winter homes. Caretakers lived on the estates year round, and the owners came only during the season to enjoy the warmth, boating, fishing and socializing.
When the railroad and automobile replaced boats as the common mode of travel, Sewall's Point became relatively isolated. This ended in 1957 with the construction of the bridges to the ocean, and soon the river-to-river estates were being subdivided. Tolls were removed from the bridges in 1961, and the bridges were formally named in 1965.
In order to ensure and maintain a high quality residential community, foresighted individuals petitioned the Florida Legislature for incorporation, and on June 5th 1957, the Town of Sewall's Point was granted its charter.
Erected 1999 by The Sewall's Point Commission.
Location. 27° 12.135′ N, 80° 12.002′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in Sewall's Point Park. Marker is in this post office area: Stuart FL 34996, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Bakers of Waveland (approx. ¼ mile away); Mount Elizabeth Mound (approx. 1.9 miles away); Tuckahoe (approx. 1.9 miles away); Stuart Welcome Arch (approx. 2 miles away); Gilbert's Bar House of Refuge (approx. 2.1 miles away); Gilbert's Bar Prehistoric Site (approx. 2.1 miles away); Georges Valentine (approx. 2.1 miles away); All Saints' Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Sewall's Point. (Submitted on January 1, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 1, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.