American University Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Churches and Cemeteries
—Country Village to City Neighborhood —
One of the oldest churches in Tenleytown is the Eldbrooke United Methodist Church located on River Road. This church was founded in 1840 as the Mount Zion Methodist Church. Some of Tenleytown's earliest inhabitants are buried in The Methodist Cemetery (pictured here) behind the church. The current Saint Anne's Roman Catholic Church at Tenley Circle was built in 1947. The yellow brick structure located behind Saint Anne's Church on Yuma Street, the Convent of Bon Secours (now a historic landmark) was built in 1927/8. Other Tenleytown churches are Saint Columba's Episcopal Church and Wisconsin Avenue Baptist Church.
This call box is part of Art on Call, a program of Cultural Tourism DC, funded in part by the DC Commission on Arts and Humanities, the District Department of Transportation, and Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development. Neighborhood Sponsors are the Tenleytown Neighbors Association and Tenleytown Historical Society. A list of call box locations can be found at-
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. 38° 56.78′ N, 77° 5.178′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4400 44th Street NW, Washington DC 20016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Commerce (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Inhabitants (approx. ¼ mile away); A Spirit of Community (approx. ¼ mile away); To the Rescue (approx. 0.3 miles away); For the Children (approx. 0.3 miles away); Set in Stone (approx. 0.3 miles away); On the Circle (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Touch with the World (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in American University Park.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 90 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2018, by Devry Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.