Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd / Founding Members

Est. 1854 / May 28, 1854

 
 
Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 10, 2017
1. Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd marker (front)
Inscription.
Front
Alabama's oldest African-American Episcopal congregation was fostered in Trinity Church by the Reverend J. A. Massey. The Right Reverend Nicholas H. Cobbs, D.D., Alabama's first Episcopal Bishop confirmed the seven founding members, free and enslaved men and women, on May 28, 1854.

Initially, services were held in the "Love and Charity Hall" on Dearborn Street and St. Michael Street. The first church was built on the north side of St. Michael Street between Cedar Street and Warren Street. In 1884, the congregation moved to a new location at 554 State Street.

From 1896-1912, the church was served by its first African-American priest, the Reverend J.J.N. Thompson. In 1930, the Reverend F. H. Threet, a parishioner, became the first African-American priest to receive ordination in the Diocese of Alabama.

The current site was dedicated on May 28, 1964, the 110th year anniversary, under the leadership of the Reverend John W. B. Thompson.

We will continue to love and serve the community, giving thanks to God for our rich heritage.

Rear
Founding Members
May 28, 1854

John Bryan
Joshua Davis
Mariah Davis
William Johnson
Hynson Jones
James Scott
Lucy Trueheart

 
Erected
Founding Members Marker (rear) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 10, 2017
2. Founding Members Marker (rear)
2017 by Dora Franklin Finley African-American Heritage Trail. (Marker Number 11.)
 
Location. 30° 42.601′ N, 88° 5.214′ W. Marker is in Mobile, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker can be reached from Donald Street north of Gloria York Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 Donald Street, Mobile AL 36617, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. William C. Gorgas (approx. 0.4 miles away); Catholic Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Vernon Z. Crawford Law Firm (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Mitchell Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); Springhill Avenue Temple Congregation (approx. 1.3 miles away); Christopher First Johnson House (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dunbar/Central High School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Dr. James A. Franklin (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobile.
 
Also see . . .  Church website history. (Submitted on December 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 10, 2017
3. Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 7, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on January 3, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement