Brady in McCulloch County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
McCulloch County Courthouse
County organized 1876, with Brady as county seat; first courthouse built 1879. Present courthouse (second and on same site) completed 1900; and Moodie, contractors, for "turn key" construction. Local labor and materials were used as far as practical. Native sandstone from local quarries.
Modified Roman architecture employing arch vault. Victorian cupola; pine woodwork, flooring, at time of construction.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3286.)
Location. 31° 8.099′ N, 99° 20.11′ W. Marker is in Brady, Texas, in McCulloch County. Marker is on West Commerce Street (U.S. 87) west of South Bridge Street (U.S. 87), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located near sidewalk on the south side of the subject courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 199 Court House Square, Brady TX 76825, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McCulloch County (within shouting distance of this marker); General Ben McCulloch, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); McCulloch County Jail Union Passenger Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Curtis Airfield (approx. 3 miles away); East Sweden Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Swedish Settlers (approx. 5.2 miles away); Onion Creek Indian Fight (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brady.
More about this marker. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are mounted on stand-alone pole. The marker is weathered and difficult to read
Regarding McCulloch County Courthouse. Texas Historic Landmark (1967)
Also see . . .
1. McCulloch County Courthouse – Brady.
The 1899 McCulloch County Courthouse was restored to its historic appearance. Previous interior modifications were reversed, most notably including the removal of a non-historic floor that was in-filled into the original two-story district courtroom. Repairs were made to the building’s distinctive exterior stonework and a new roof was installed, matching the historic one. Throughout the restored building, historic wood floors and high, decorative metal ceilings are once again visible. The building was rededicated on September 5, 2009. (Submitted on January 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. McCulloch County Courthouse.
(includes exterior and interior courthouse pictures; and picture of new courthouse in early 1900s) (Submitted on January 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. McCulloch County Courthouse.
When the decision was made in 1899 to erect a new courthouse, Martin & Moodie submitted their proposal and were awarded the contract. The new three-story sandstone courthouse was in the Richardson Romanesque style, and bears some semblance to the style of architect James Riely Gordon. While the clock tower has areas designed for a clock on each of the four sides, no clock is installed. In both 1936 and 1938, Brady Creek (San Saba River) overflowed its banks and caused flooding in and around the courthouse. (Submitted on January 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 115 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.