Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clifton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Barber Shop

1884

 
 
Barber Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2017
1. Barber Shop Marker
Inscription. The front portion of this building first served as an out kitchen for the Payne House. Around 1918 it was moved across Chapel Street where it served as home for the train agent. In 1955 the first floor became Tom Fairfax's barber shop until the mid 60's. In 1972 it was moved to the present site, restored and enlarged for use as an antique shop.
 
Location. 38° 46.848′ N, 77° 23.144′ W. Marker is in Clifton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Chapel Road and Pendleton Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Chapel Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12700 Chapel Road, Clifton VA 20124, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woodyard House (a few steps from this marker); Susan Riviere Hetzel (within shouting distance of this marker); Detwiler House (within shouting distance of this marker); Devereux Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairfax House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sangster’s Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Payne House (about 300 feet away); Buckley Store (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clifton.
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesNotable Buildings
 
Barber Shop image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2017
2. Barber Shop
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 86 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 5, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement