Government Camp in Clackamas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Formerly a camp on the old Barlow Road was named in the fall of 1849 when the first United States Mounted Rifles abandoned a large number of wagons here, while a detachment was traveling from The Dalles to Oregon City.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Oregon Trail marker series.
Location. 45° 18.221′ N, 121° 45.185′ W. Marker is in Government Camp, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is on Government Camp Loop near 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 88900 Government Camp Loop, Government Camp OR 97028, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel Kimbrough Barlow (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Government Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Sumate Prairie" (approx. 1½ miles away); Laurel Hill (approx. 2.4 miles away); Timberline Lodge (approx. 2.8 miles away); A Final Rest (approx. 3 miles away); "Disparite Bad Beyond Discription" (approx. 3.6 miles away); Barlow Road (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Government Camp.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 78 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 6, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.