Cleveland Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The grand, 1,000 acre Rosedale Estate which was later subdivided to form Cleveland Park, was purchased by General Uriah Forrest, an aid-de-camp of General George Washington, who built a farmhouse in 1793. Between 1920-1959, the estate was owned by the Coonley/Faulkner families. The property then became a dormitory for a private school and offices for an international exchange organization. To prevent further development, a group of Cleveland Park residents purchased the estate in 2002; sold lots on the north side; renovated the farmhouse as a private home; and established the Rosedale Conservancy to preserve the southern portion as a green space for the Cleveland Park Community.
Artist: John Woo
Art on Call is a program of Cultural Tourism DC, with support from:
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities,
DC Creates Public Art Program
District Department of Transportation,
and Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development.
The organizational sponsor for the Cleveland Park Call Box Restoration Project is: Cleveland Park Historical Society.
Call box locator map: Porter Street and 35th Street intersection.
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 9.)
Location. 38° 56.085′ N, 77° 4.263′ W. Marker is in Cleveland Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Newark Street Northwest and 36th Street NW, on the right when traveling west on Newark Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3607 Newark St NW, Washington DC 20016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cathedral Heights Business District (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Story of Rosedale (about 700 feet away); 5. Site of Red Top (about 800 feet away); The Woodley Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away); 12. Map (approx. 0.2 miles away); 13. Mary Day and the Washington Ballet (approx. ¼ mile away); Washington National Cathedral (approx. ¼ mile away); The Nourse Farm (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland Park.
Categories. • Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Education • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 7, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 66 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 7, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.