Oak Ridge in Anderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Transformation of Education and Health
Inscription. At the same time the Government was starting large construction programs in 1948 to build permanent housing, work started to replace the hurriedly built wartime schools. The first permanent school finished was Willowbrook Elementary in September 1949. Next to be finished was Woodland Elementary in the fall of 1950, but so many people moved into Woodland that an addition was required, finished in 1953. The most costly of all school additions ($2.9 million) was the new High School, located west of its original Jackson Square home to better serve the center of the future City. Jefferson Junior high moved in to the old high School above Jackson Square. Major new additions and renovations were made to Robertsville Junior High by 1954. Those four new schools represented a $6 million investment in providing for the future outstanding school system. Providing for the City’s future health care was another major concern. In April 1949, just a month after the City’s gates were opened, the government turned the management of the Hospital over to a not-for-profit Oak Ridge Hospital, Inc., and then, to help fight deficits, changed the rules to allow them to accept patients from the surrounding counties. Midway through the next decade the Hospital Board argued that the wartime, wooden, sprawling facility had to be replaced, and Congress appropriated
By Tom Bosse, December 30, 2017
1. The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee Marker
money for a new 175-bed facility. The issue then became to whom this fine new hospital should be given: to the new City, to those who had been running it, or to a new suitor, the Methodist Church. A spirited referendum saw the vote almost evenly divided, so a second was held and the Methodist Church won. Although they took over management in March 1959, both the Hospital and the Schools reported to the Atomic Energy Commission until all property transfers to the new City were finally executed in June 1960.
By Tom Bosse, December 30, 2017
2. The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee Marker
This third marker was produced, in part, with funding from the City of Oak Ridge and the Preserve American Grant Program, National Park Service.
Erected by The City of Oak Ridge and The National Park Service.
Location. 36° 0.742′ N, 84° 15.479′ W. Marker is in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, in Anderson County. Marker is on South Tulane Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the City of Oak Ridge Municipal Building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 South Tulane Avenue, Oak Ridge TN 37830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, Tennessee (here, next to this marker); Dedicated to the Memory of Those from Oak Ridge Who Gave Their Lives That Freedom Might Live (here, next to this marker); Violent Clashes (within shouting distance of this marker); 1944 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); K-25 – The Gaseous Diffusion Plant (about 500 feet away); Oak Ridge Hospital (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oak Ridge.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Categories. • Education • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.