The Dalles in Wasco County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Historic Downtown The Dalles
—Est. 1850 —
(top right) North on Union Street behind the current Post Office was the Dalles Railroad Depot, built prior to 1910. It was south of the ferry landing and served the community until it was torn down in the 1960s. In this World War I era image there are automobiles as well as horse and carriage outfits. Note the man in the center is wearing a soldier's "doughboy" uniform. Local long distance rail travel started with the 1883 completion of this rail line from Portland to Chicago.
(upper left) To the north on Union Street was the extensive sandy beach where ships docked and the ferry departed. Note the wood cordage on the far left. Early boats were powered by huge quantities of wood. The angled road on the Washington side of the river is the northern ferry landing, still visible today. The boat is the famous sternwheeler "Bailey Gatzert," on its daily round trip from Portland to The Dalles.
(center right) This 1924 photo of downtown The Dalles looks east on Second Street from the intersection with Union. To the right is the roof of the original Post Office under construction, which you can see directly across Second Street. Where you are standing was a general merchandise store and is now the Modern Post Office, dedicated in 1999. Many of the buildings on the north side still stand, including the garage on the northeast corner. Note that Second Street is two way at this time. The structure in the middle of the street is a lighted street divider. One of these was situated in each intersection along this street.
(lower left) In December 1884 thirty inches of snow fell in a three day blizzard. This view of downtown Second Street looking east shows the additional accumulation from shoveling the sidewalks. Stories circulated about an entrepreneur who tunneled through the snow and charged twenty five cents a head to cross the street.
(bottom right) A crowd gathered in front of the J.C. Penney Company and Boettcher Jewelers in anticipation of the 1922 Pony Express Reenactment Race from The Dalles to Canyon City. Rider on left, Jack McCarthy, completed the 189 miles in 19 hours, changing horses seven times, for a grand prize of $750 on gold dust. This is the south side of Second Street between Washington and Federal Streets, one block east of the modern day Penney store. J.C. Penney came to The Dalles prior to 1915, and was called the Golden Rule Store. Today in this location is a modern representation of the Boettcher clock.
Erected by City of The Dalles.
Location. 45° 36.15′ N, 121° 11.055′ W. Marker is in The Dalles, Oregon, in Wasco County. Marker is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and Union Street, on the right when traveling west on West 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West 2nd Street, The Dalles OR 97058, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dalles Garage (a few steps from this marker); U.S. Post Office (a few steps from this marker); Lemke Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Gates Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Umatilla House (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Wasco County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baldwin Saloon (about 400 feet away); The Dalles City Hall 1908 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in The Dalles.
More about this marker. This marker is in front of The Dalles Post Office.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 72 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Mid-distance view of the marker and post office. • Can you help?