Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Behind the Big House

 
 
Behind the Big House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 6, 2018
1. Behind the Big House Marker
Inscription. Two story brick slave quarters like the one before you were not typical, but they could be found in wealthy towns like Cahawba.

Stephen Barker built these quarters in 1860 on the northern edge of town. As you can see in the photograph, this structure originally had no columns and sat behind Barker's large brick mansion.

After the Civil War, Confederate veteran Samuel McCurdy Kirkpatrick and his wife Sarah purchased Barker's large home and all of its outlying structures. As other residents started to abandon Cahawba, the Kirkpatricks purchased the vacated lots. They transformed the dying town into a large farm. For nearly seventy years, three generations of Kirkpatricks managed a model farm here called "Kirk-View."

The mansion burned in 1935. After the fire, a grandson of Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick created a home for his new bride by adding columns and a back wing to Barker's old slave quarters.
 
Erected 2015 by the Alabama Historical Commission.
 
Location. 32° 19.427′ N, 87° 5.875′ W. Marker is in Cahaba, Alabama, in Dallas County. Marker is on Oak Street north of Fifth North Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map
Former slave quarters. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 6, 2018
2. Former slave quarters.
. Located within the Cahawba Archaeological Park (nominal fee required). Marker is at or near this postal address: Oak Street, Orrville AL 36767, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Duke of Cahaba (a few steps from this marker); Death in the Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old Brick Store (approx. 0.3 miles away); Crocheron's Row (approx. 0.3 miles away); Who Lived Here? (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hole That Was Once a Row (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Crocheron Columns (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cahaba Drug Store (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
 
Regarding Behind the Big House. In 1866, shortly after the Civil War and a severe flood, the county seat was moved from Cahaba to Selma. Residents rapidly abandoned the town. Many homes were dismantled and reassembled elsewhere.

Despite this trend, returning Confederate veteran Samuel McCurdy Kirkpatrick and his wife Sarah purchased a large brick house and outlying structures here on the northern edge of town. They acquired many of the vacated town lots and consolidated them into a large farm. For nearly seventy years, three generations of Kirkpatricks managed a model farm here called "Kirk-View."

The
Entrance sign to the Cahawba Archaeological Park. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 6, 2018
3. Entrance sign to the Cahawba Archaeological Park.
Kirkpatrick home burned in 1935. The structure you see today was one of two located behind the house and was originally constructed as slave quarters.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement