Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lunenburg in Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia — The Canadian Atlantic
 

St. John's Anglican Church / L'église anglicane St. John's

 
 
St. John's Anglican Church / L'église anglicane St. John's Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 25, 2017
1. St. John's Anglican Church / L'église anglicane St. John's Marker
Inscription.

The first Anglican services in Lunenburg were held outdoors on this site and were conducted by a missionary from England. A two-storey structure in the New England Meeting House style was built between 1754 and 1763. The oak frames were thought to have come from the old King's Chapel in Boston. The Church also had a circular tower with a steep conical roof reminiscent of churches in Germany.

The tower was replaced in 1840 by a larger, square one with Gothic pinnacles which permitted the inclusion of a vestry, porch and singing pew. In the 1870's, under the direction of Halifax architect, David Stirling, a new church was virtually rebuilt around remnants of the old. The roof of the nave was reconstructed and a chancel was added. In 1892, a group of carpenters from the congregation enlarged the church to provide side aisles and embellished the exterior with numerous carved pinnacles.

Saint John's is considered an excellent example of an architectural style known as Carpenter's Gothic, in which features normally carved in stone are instead rendered in wood. Stained glass windows were added over the years and include the Fisherman's Window which was installed in the tower in 1981. The ceiling in the chancel of the church is painted to depict the Mariner's "night sky". The traditional church bells are also

St. John's Anglican Church / L'église anglicane St. John's and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 25, 2017
2. St. John's Anglican Church / L'église anglicane St. John's and Marker
Church in distant background
played regularly for the Towns folk and visitors' enjoyment. Saint John's was the second Anglican church built in Nova Scotia and has been designated as both a Provincial Heritage Property and a National Historic Site.

Look up at the bell tower, can you pick out the "Fishermen's Window"?

——————————————————

Les premiers services anglicans à Lunenburg se tiennent en plein air sur ce site et sont officiés par un missionnaire venu d'Angleterre. Un bâtiment de deux étages dans le style des temples des quakers de la Nouvelle-Angleterre est construit entre 1754 et 1763. On pense alors que les pièces de la charpente [?] chêne peuvent provenir de l'ancienne King's Chapel à Boston. L'église est aussi dotée d'une tour surmontée d'un toit conique et haut qui rappelle les églises allemandes.

Le remplacement de la tour en 1840 par une tour carrée plus imposante, couronnée de pinacles gothiques, permet d'ajouter une sacristie, un porche et un banc pour les chanteurs. Dans les années 1870, sous la direction de David Stirling, architecte de Halifax, une nouvelle église est partiquement reconstruite à partir de ce qu'il reste de l'ancienne. Le toit de la nef est reconstruit et un chœur ajouté. En 1892, un groupe de charpentiers de la congrégation agrandit l'église : des bas-côtés sont ajoutés et l'extérieur est embelli par de nombreux pinacles sculptés.

St. John's est considéré comme un très bel exemple du style architectural appelé « gothique des charpentiers ». Ce style se caractérise par l'emploi du bois en remplacement de la pierre. Ainsi, des éléments habituellement sculptés dans la pierre le sont dans le bois. Des vitraux sont ajoutés au fil des ans, notamment le vitrail des pêcheurs qui est installé dans la tour en 1981. La « voûte céleste » des marins est peinte au plafond du chœur. Les cloches de l'église traditionnelles sont jouées régulièrement pour le plaisir des gens de la ville et des touristes. St. John's est la deuxième église anglicane à avoir été construite en Nouvelle-Écosse et a été désignée à la fois bien du patrimoine provincial et lieu historique national.

Regardez le clocher. Pouvez-vous repérer le « vitrail des pêcheurs »?

[Photo captions read/Légendes des photos lues]
• Stained glass windows in the church./Vitraux de l'église.

• Rev. Henry L. Owen, M.A., D.D., Rector 1852-1884, during whose ministry the church was rebuilt./Le rév. Henry L. Owen, M.A, D.D., recteur de 1852 à 1884; l'église est construite durant son ministère.

• Illustration of the interior by Mary Brownless./Illustration de l'intérieur par Mary Brownless.

• View of St. John's Church c. 1900/Vue de l'église St. John's vers 1900

For more information on historic Lunenburg, be sure to consult the other interpretive panels located throughout the Town.

Pour de plus amples renseignements sur le Vieux-Lunenbur, ne manquez pas de consulter les autres panneaux d'interpretation placés un peu partout dans la ville.
 
Erected by the Town of Lunenburg and Others.
 
Location. 44° 22.687′ N, 64° 18.722′ W. Marker is in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, in Lunenburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Cornwallis Street and Cumberland Street, on the right when traveling north on Cornwallis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: St. John's Anglican Church Grounds, Lunenburg, Nova Scotia B0J 2C0, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1753 Open-Air Protestant Interfaith Church Services (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's Parish Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jessen Bell / La Cloche Jessen (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fire / Le Feu (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's Anglican Church / Église Anglicane St. John (within shouting distance of this marker); Koch-Solomon House (within shouting distance of this marker); Finck-Holder House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lennox Tavern (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lunenburg.
 
Also see . . .
1. St. John's Anglican Church History. (Submitted on January 10, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. St. John's Anglican Church. (Submitted on January 10, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & Settlers

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 87 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.