St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Flagler Era, Built 1887-1889
The Hotel Alcazar was constructed by Henry Flagler, Standard Oil Company co-founder and developer of the Florida East Coast Railway. The Alcazar was part of a trio of Moorish and Spanish Renaissance Revival styled resorts that depicted Flagler's ideal of a "Riviera" in St. Augustine. The building was designed by New York architecture firm Carrére and Hastings and constructed by McQuire and McDonald Company of St. Augustine using cast concrete with coquina shell aggregate and terra cotta features. The hotel closed in 1932 and was purchased by O.C. Lightner in 1947 to exhibit his collections. The building now serves as the Lightner Museum and City Hall.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.49′ N, 81° 18.84′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of King Street (Business U.S. 1) and Cordova Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is on the wall near the front doors. Marker is at or near this postal address: 75 King Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Don Pedro Menéndez de Aviles (a few steps from this marker); The Alcazar Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); William Wing Loring (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Henry M. Flagler (about 300 feet away); Ponce de Leon Hotel (about 300 feet away); Tolomato Street (about 300 feet away); Rosario Redoubt (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Lightner Museum. (Submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?