St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Four Centuries----Five Flags
Spaniards first settled Florida permanently at the site of St. Augustine in 1565. They raised their vivid red and white flag to establish possession of the land for their king.
The Spanish flag flew over the little garrison town for 235 years, longer than any other national flag has flown in this country.
The five flags which have marked the changes of dominion in this city's turbulent history fly from the balcony above, from the right (east) they indicate:
-First Spanish Dominion (1565-1763)
-Second Spanish ((1784-1821)
-United States (1821-1861, 1862 on)
Erected by St. Augustine Historical Society.
Location. 29° 53.28′ N, 81° 18.596′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker is on St. Francis Street just west of Marine Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on entrance pillar of the Gonzalez-Alvarez House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 St. Francis Street, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Francis Barracks (here, next to this marker); Tovar House (a few González-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); Gonzalez-Alvarez House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Tovar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Llambias House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fernandez-Llambias House (about 300 feet away); Garcia-Dummett House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 11, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.