Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Medford in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Medford Public Library

 
 
Medford Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
By AngelWolf93, December 14, 2009
1. Medford Public Library Marker
Inscription.
Medford Public Library
Gift of
Mr. Andrew Carnegie
Erected 1911

 
Erected 1911.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
 
Location. 42° 19.421′ N, 122° 52.61′ W. Marker is in Medford, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of W Main St and S Oakland Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford OR 97501, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Replica of the Statue of Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker); Medford Townsite (within shouting distance of this marker); Cuthbert Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The War Brings Change (approx. 0.3 miles away); Medford Boomed As Orchards Bloomed (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Town is Born (approx. 0.3 miles away); Medford Auto Company Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Newell Barber Field (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
 
Also see . . .  Medford_Carnegie_Library. The Medford Carnegie Library is a two-story library building located in Medford, Oregon, United States. The building was erected
Medford Public Library image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 14, 2009
2. Medford Public Library
in 1911 (completed in 1912) as a gift from Andrew Carnegie. The Carnegie Library building was vacated in 2004 when all services were moved to a new library building in downtown Medford.

Throughout 2009, the building was occupied by various city offices while renovations were being completed on the existing Medford city hall building. The city spent about $210,000 to have Grants Pass-based Ausland Builders Inc. refurbish about an eighth of the 16,000-square-foot structure to make way for the temporary office space in the old children's book section. The work involved seismic upgrades, insulation, new windows and ceilings.

After City Hall renovations were complete city offices relocated back and further restoration efforts continued on the Carnegie Building. To date nearly $1 million in renovations have been made to the building. The city awarded an $800,000 construction bid to S&B James Construction, based in White City, to replace the library's windows and overhaul its heating and air cooling system. The construction money came from various Oregon Department of Energy grants and federal stimulus dollars. (Submitted on January 12, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement