Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Darien's Railroad and Depot
Erected 1999 by The Georgia Historical Society and Lower Altamaha Historical Society. (Marker Number 95-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 22.264′ N, 81° 25.931′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is on Madison Street near Franklin Street, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is at Columbus Square. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbus Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Oglethorpe Oak New Inverness (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Oglethorpe Oak (about 700 feet away); McIntosh County (about 800 feet away); Methodists at Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Burning of Darien (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
Also see . . . Darien and Western Railroad , Wikipedia entry. In 1894 the Darien and Western Railroad was established to take over operations of the Darien Short Line which had gone bankrupt. The D&W operated a 32-mile (51 km) line between Darien and Middleton, Georgia, USA, beginning in 1895 and then as far as Ludowici, Georgia, in 1904. It became part of a multi-railroad merger in 1906 that resulted in the Georgia Coast and Piedmont Railroad. (Submitted on September 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,235 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.