Cahaba in Dallas County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Hole That Was Once a Row
1822 - Crocheron's Row
Cahawba's First Shopping Center
This large hole was dug in 1822 to be the basement beneath Cahawba's first brick store.
In the 19th century the word "row" described a building that consisted of several similar storefronts, all arranged in a straight line or row. This building built by brothers David and Nicholas Crocheron contained eight different stores or offices. It measured 80 feet by 42 feet and had two floors above the basement.
The Crocherons were merchants from Staten Island, New York. They were very familiar with commercial rows in New York City. Before starting their own brick "row," they completed another brick building in Cahawba, Alabama's first statehouse!
1854 -The "Old Brick Store" Cahawba's First Superstore
The capital was removed in 1825, but Cahawba survived and prospered. Eventually, many brick stores were built in Cahawba, so by the late 1850s, townspeople were calling this building the "Old Brick Store."
Col. Sam M. Hill purchased the Old Brick Store, and turned
Most of the merchants in Cahawba traveled to New York each season to replenish their stock. They would travel by steamboat down the Alabama River, then by steamship from Mobile to New York City via Cuba In 1859, Col. Hill was able to make the return trip from New York in less than four days!
The Crocherons, the New York family that originally built the Old Brick Store, had a cousin named Edward M. Perine. Perine was probably Hill's biggest competitor. His store was called the "New Brick Store." It was located nearby on the southwest corner of Vine and Second North Streets.
When Cahawba was chosen to be Alabama's first capital, it was uninhabited. A town had to be carved out of the wilderness.
In time Cahawba grew into one of the wealthiest communities in the nation. During the capital era (1819 - 1825) however, conditions were very primitive. Before the Crocheron's built their brick store, Cahawba's merchants lived and worked in small log cabins.
Erected 2015 by the Alabama Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 19.159′ N, 87° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Second North Street, Orrville AL 36767, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crocheron's Row (was a few steps from this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); Cahaba Drug Store (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); The Crocheron Columns (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); Death in the Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Yankees in Cahawba (within shouting distance of this marker); Saltmarsh Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Courthouse Reduced to Rubble (about 500 feet away); Dallas County Courthouse (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cahaba.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Hole That Was Once a Row.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 13, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.