Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Conway in Horry County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Peter Horry / Horry County

 
 
The Peter Horry Side of Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 6, 2007
1. The Peter Horry Side of Marker
Inscription. Peter Horry. A planter of French Huguenot descent, Peter Horry (O-ree) was born in SC ca. 1747. A lieutenant colonel in the Revolution and later brigadier general in the SC Militia, he represented Prince George Winyah in the SC House and Senate. In 1801, Kingston County was renamed Horry District for Peter Horry. He died in 1815 and is buried at Trinity Episcopal Church in Columbia, SC.

Horry County. Originally part of colonial Craven County, Horry County has also been part of Prince George Winyah (1722), Prince Frederick (1734), and All Saints (1767) parishes, which served as early religious and civic jurisdictions. This area, which became part of newly-formed Georgetown District in 1769, was given its present boundaries and named Kingston County in 1785. In 1801, it was renamed Horry District, and, in 1868, Horry County.
 
Erected 1989 by the Horry County Historical Society. (Marker Number 26-8.)
 
Location. 33° 50.031′ N, 79° 2.932′ W. Marker is in Conway, South Carolina, in Horry County. Touch for map. It is in front of the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Conway SC 29526, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow
The Horry County Side of Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 6, 2007
2. The Horry County Side of Marker
flies. Centennial Time Capsule (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kingston-Conway / Robert Conway (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Historic Brick for this Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church (approx. mile away); The Wade Hampton Oak (approx. mile away); Kingston Church (approx. mile away); Conway High School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Benjamin Grier Collins (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conway.
 
Regarding Peter Horry / Horry County. Prince George, Winyah, parish established on the banks of the Winyah Bay by the Church of England in Georgetown, South Carolina. Its territory encompassed what is now Horry County.
 
Also see . . .
1. Yauhannah History. Origin and division of the parishes that became Horry County. (Submitted on February 7, 2007.) 

2. Peter Horry. 1937 South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine article edited by A. S. Salley. (Submitted on February 7, 2007.) 

3. About Horry County and General Peter Horry. Includes a portrait of Peter Horry and old images and photographs of the area, along with many other documents and resources. (Submitted on February 7, 2007.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraPolitical SubdivisionsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Peter Horry / Horry County Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 6, 2007
3. Peter Horry / Horry County Marker
Horry County Court House image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 6, 2007
4. Horry County Court House
This is the view of the courthouse from the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 7, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,694 times since then and 44 times this year. Last updated on September 8, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 7, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement