Near Oakes in Dickey County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Established in the spring of 1883 by a colony from New York state and named for the Hudson River. A railroad right-of-way was planned to serve the town from the east. Three years later the Northern Pacific and Northwestern railways met on the east side of the James River and the town of Oakes was founded. Most of the buildings of Hudson were then moved to Oakes.
On July 7, 1837 the explorers Nicolett and Fremont, while enroute from Fort Pierre to the Devils Lake region, established a camp about one mile southwest of this point.
Erected by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Location. 46° 5.759′ N, 98° 7.884′ W. Marker is near Oakes, North Dakota, in Dickey County. Marker is at the intersection of 108th Avenue Southeast and 91st St SE, on the right when traveling north on 108th Avenue Southeast. Marker is in a small field with off road parking available. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakes ND 58474, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1891 Church - Oakes Historical Park Stagecoach Relay Station (approx. 6.2 miles away).
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Hudson Townsite.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.