Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Across 23rd St. and Rock Creek
—Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood —
Police Call Boxes such as this one (originally painted blue) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Officers on foot patrol used this secure telegraph system to contact the station, accessing the box with a now highly collectible "gold key." This system was used until the late 1970s when it was abandoned in favor of more modern communication methods.
Across 23rd St. and Rock Creek lies Georgetown. Predating Washington, DC, Georgetown was incorporated in 1752. It became part of the new District of Columbia in 1791, but remained a separate city until 1871.
Built in the 1930s, the gas station at 23rd and P Sts. (1930s) was the first commercial structure in DC to comply with new design regulations requiring that the design reflect its neighbors; note the Church of the Pilgrim (above) at 2201 P St. The gas station replaced the Washington Riding Academy, which opened 1888 when this area was still sparsely developed.
Where 23rd St. becomes Florida Ave., above P St., President George Washington's coach-and-four forded Rock Creek on his way to or from Mt. Vernon from New York or Philadelphia when they were the seat of the Federal Government.
DC painter/teacher Tom Wagner grew up in Pennsylvania's coal mining region, whose "ravaged topography's interplay with man
Artist ¦ Tom Wagner
Tour guide, map and artist information for all 22 boxes available at: www.DupontCircleCallBox.com
Art on Call
The Dupont Circle Art on Call project explores neighborhood history and local fire and police events. It also celebrates our diverse political, artistic and intellectual community by presenting original artwork by 22 local artists featuring the hub of our neighborhood. Dupont Circle and the beautiful fountains designed by Daniel Chester French.
Art on Call is a program of Cultural Tourism DC with support from
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
District Department of Transportation
This call box is sponsored by:
The Mansion on O Street
Dupont Circle Art on Call Corporate Sponsor
This community project also supported by
Dupont Circle Association and the Dupont Circle Conservancy, Inc.
and generous donations from community residents and businesses.
See all 22 Dupont Circle Call Boxes!
Development Committee Members:
James H. Mears
Gerald Allen Schwinn
Tour guide, map and artist information available at: www.DupontCircleCallBox.com
Graphic design coursesy of: e-lanestudio
Fabrication: Gelberg Signs
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. Marker has been reported damaged. 38° 54.518′ N, 77° 2.956′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of O Street NW and 23rd Street NW, on the right when traveling west on O Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20037, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The building on this corner (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Taras Shevchenko Memorial (about 500 feet away); Washington Before Washington (about 600 feet away); The first houses south and west of Dupont Circle (about 700 feet away); Before the city built a bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tomáš G. Masaryk Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Society of the Cincinnati (approx. 0.2 miles away); Liberation of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
More about this marker. Back of marker appears to have weather damage
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 91 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 13, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.