Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
After the Civil War
—Diverse Visions, One Neighborhood —
Fire Fact, November 28, 1911
DC's first motorized fire engine was placed in service at Engine Company 24. Its engine house was the first to be built without a stable and manure pit.
Caption: Fire Department information and images courtesy of Capitol Fire Museum
Fire alarm boxes such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Telegraphs transmitted the box number (top) to a fire alarm center. This system was used until the 1970s when the boxes were converted to a telephone system. By the 1990s, the callbox system had been replaced by the 911 system and was abandoned.
After the Civil War, the area around Dupont Circle developed rapidly. If you look north to the hill on the horizon, you can see where John and Mary Henderson built their mansion (1888). As a senator from Missouri, John (1836-1911) authored one of the anti-slavery amendments and voted against the removal of President Andrew Johnson. Mary (1841-1931) built the first "embassy row" between 2600 and 2800 16th St., and gave the Federal Government the land that became Meridian Hill Park, but only after she had tried strenuously to locate first the White House, then the Lincoln Memorial there.
At the northwest corner of 17th and P Sts. stood the
Artist, Supon Phornirunlit
Originally from Thailand, Supon came to the U.S.A. in 1979 and settled first in Dupont Circle. His design studio has earned over 1,000 industry awards. He has written nearly three dozen graphic design books.
Art on Call
The Dupont Circle Art on Call project explores neighborhood history and local fire and police events. It also celebrates our diverse political, artistic and intellectual community by presenting original artwork by 22 local artists featuring the hub of our neighborhood. Dupont Circle and the beautiful fountains designed by Daniel Chester French.
Art on Call is a program of Cultural Tourism DC with support from
DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
District Department of Transportation
Dupont Circle Art on Call Corporate Sponsor
This community project also supported by
Dupont Circle Association and the Dupont Circle Conservancy, Inc.
and generous donations from community residents and businesses.
See all 22 Dupont Circle Call Boxes!
Development Committee Members:
Marilyn Newton, Chair
James H. Mears
Gerald Allen Schwinn
Tour guide, map and artist information available at: www.DupontCircleCallBox.com
Graphic design coursesy of: e-lanestudio
Fabrication: Gelberg Signs
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC.
Location. Marker has been reported unreadable. 38° 54.575′ N, 77° 2.303′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of P Street Northwest and 17th Street NW, on the left when traveling west on P Street Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Bernardo O'Higgins (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); You are standing at the edge of Embassy Row (about 600 feet away); The Stephanie Tubbs Jones Building (about 600 feet away); Independence of Kazakhstan (about 600 feet away); "Single Form" (about 600 feet away); This segment of the Berlin Wall... (about 700 feet away); Admiral Miguel Grau (about 700 feet away); Hélène De Beir (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
More about this marker. Back of marker has weather damage
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.