Jamestown in Stutsman County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fort Seward, formerly Fort Cross, was established June 3, 1872. The post was built on a bluff overlooking the confluence of the James River and Pipestone Creek. Although the Sioux Indians had recently been settled on reservations, occasional raiding parties and intermittent warfare further west indicated a need for military production for Northern Pacific railroad workers and property.
Established along the rail line, Fort Seward served as a depot for supplies enroute to Fort Tolten, eighty-one miles to the north. Other fort functions included assisting U.S. marshals' enforcement of federal laws in the Jamestown vicinity, supporting the telegraph company in keeping its line open, and serving as a military mail and message transfer point. Soldiers escorted the paymaster and the officers and accompanied herds of beef cattle enroute to posts on the Missouri River.
The two-company Infantry post was named for William H. Seward, former U.S Secretary of State, and was originally commanded by Captain J.C. Bates, Company B, 20th U.S Infantry. Built mostly of lumber, for buildings include quarters for troops and officers, a hospital, a guard house, store house, stables, a granary, a bake house, offices and workshops. Post and hospital gardens less that a mile away.
During the summer of 1872, 900 railway
Erected 1989 by State Historical Society of North Dakota.
Location. 46° 54.794′ N, 98° 43.26′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, North Dakota, in Stutsman County. Marker is on 10th Avenue Northwest. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 10th Ave. NW, Jamestown ND 58401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Model 1861 8" Siege Howitzer (here, next to this marker); Fort William H. Seward (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Seward (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alton Klaus (approx. 0.6 miles away); Where the Two Rivers Meet (approx. ¾ mile away); Jamestown Dam (approx. 1.4 miles away); White Cloud (approx. 2 miles away).
Also see . . . Fort Seward, Jamestown, North Dakota. (Submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Railroads & Streetcars • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.