Jamestown in Stutsman County, North Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
1872 - 1877
A United States military post providing quarters for two companies of infantry. It was named for Wm H. Seward, wo served as Secretary of State under Abraham Lincoln.
The post protected workers who were building the Northern Pacific Railway and the early settlers who located in the James River Valley.
Fort Seward served as the railhead for supplies for Fort Totten. Located 81 miles to the north.
Location. 46° 54.71′ N, 98° 43.332′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, North Dakota, in Stutsman County. Marker is on 4th Street Northwest 0.2 miles from 8th Ave NW, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown ND 58401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort William H. Seward (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Seward (about 600 feet away); Model 1861 8" Siege Howitzer (about 600 feet away); Alton Klaus (approx. half a mile away); Where the Two Rivers Meet (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jamestown Dam (approx. 1˝ miles away); World's Largest Buffalo (approx. 1.9 miles away); White Cloud (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Also see . . . Fort Seward, Jamestown, North Dakota. (Submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Railroads & Streetcars • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.