Thibodaux in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Rev. Daniel McNair
Reverend Daniel McNair founded the Presbyterian Church of Thibodaux on June 6, 1847. It was the first Presbyterian congregation established west of the Mississippi River. A North Carolina native born in 1806, he was assigned to preach in the Mississippi Valley and south Louisiana. Pastor McNair was a stoutly built man, of great piety and grave in speech and facial appearance. He married Martha Goode, a founding member of the Presbyterian church. Her parents, Sidney Moore Goode and Louisiana Scudday Goode, owned a plantation just east of the town center. They, too, all are buried in the cemetery.
Erected by St. John's Historic Cemetery.
Location. 29° 47.646′ N, 90° 49.408′ W. Marker is in Thibodaux, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker can be reached from Jackson Street south of Seventh Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 718 Jackson Street, Thibodaux LA 70301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fayette Clay Ewing (here, next to this marker); James Frost (a few steps from this marker); Mary King Fulford (a few steps from this marker); Morgan Springer Silas T. Grisamore (a few steps from this marker); Richard Henry Allen (within shouting distance of this marker); John Carlton Beatty (within shouting distance of this marker); James Mcallister (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thibodaux.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 75 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 14, 2018.