Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thibodaux in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. John's Historic Cemetery

 
 
St. John's Historic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
January 13, 2018
1. St. John's Historic Cemetery Marker
Inscription.
Once part of Ridgefield Plantation, the land for the Church and Cemetery fronted on the Terrebonne Road - now Jackson Street - connecting Bayous Lafourche and Terrebonne. An entire block was donated in the early 1840s by George Seth and Caroline Lucretia Winder Guion, who moved from Natchez to Lafourche Parish after marrying in 1831. Guion's grandfather Issac Guion fought in the American Revolution, later in the Indian Wars in the Old Northwest Territory in the 1790s. The Winders were Kentuckians; Caroline's brother, Van Winder, settled at Ducros Plantation near present-day Schriever.

After its creation, the Cemetery was divided into plots roughly twenty feet square; in each plot, eight sections were designated as burial sites. Narrow "streets" separate the rows of burial plots and are named for some of the founders and for several Episcopal priests who served at St. John's. A wrought iron fence and gates donated by Minnie Roberta Williams were erected in 1916. The lawn crypt was built in the west corner of the Cemetery in the 1960s. Live oaks surrounding the cemetery were planted in the 1850s by Thomas R.B. Trader, of Maryland, the rector from 1854-69.

The cemetery has served people of all faiths. Many were influential in state and local history, such as Governor Francis Tillou Nicholls. Buried in the Cemetery are veterans

St. John's Historic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
January 13, 2018
2. St. John's Historic Cemetery Marker
of American wars from the War of 1812 to and including the Vietnam War. All visitors are welcomed, dawn to dusk. We hope that you enjoy your tours.
 
Erected by St. John's Historic Cemetery.
 
Location. 29° 47.627′ N, 90° 49.397′ W. Marker is in Thibodaux, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker can be reached from Jackson Street south of Seventh Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 718 Jackson Street, Thibodaux LA 70301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Mcallister (a few steps from this marker); Leonidas Polk (a few steps from this marker); John Carlton Beatty (a few steps from this marker); Marcus Pennington Zills (a few steps from this marker); John Nelson & Andrew Jackson Donelson (a few steps from this marker); Philip Sargent Armitage (a few steps from this marker); Morgan Springer (within shouting distance of this marker); Archibald Mackenzie (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Thibodaux.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
St. John's Historic Cemetery image. Click for full size.
January 13, 2018
3. St. John's Historic Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 59 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2018.
Paid Advertisement