St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 2007 by Georgia Historical Society, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, Friends of Coastal Georgia History, and Sea Island Company. (Marker Number 063-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 8.913′ N, 81° 24.092′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Kings Way 0.2 miles north of Frederica Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Simons Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); North Atlantic Right Whale (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fort St. Simons (approx. 1.1 miles away); Early History of St. Simons Island (approx. 1.1 miles away); The First Light House ~ 1810 (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Historic St. Simons Light Station (approx. 1.1 miles away); Couper's Point (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . The St. Simons Island Experience. "Lying adjacent to Hamilton Plantation on the southern tip of the island was a tract originally settled by James Spalding. In 1804, Major William Page, a South Carolinian who had managed the Hampton estate for Pierce Butler until a permanent overseer could be engaged, was impressed with its potential. Page bought the old Spalding property, named it Retreat, and moved his family into the small cottage that overlooked St. Simons Sound and Jekyll Island." (Submitted on October 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Antebellum South, US • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 4,471 times since then and 203 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 8, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on April 6, 2010, by Patrick Saylor of Saint Simons Island, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.