Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Warwick Courthouse

 
 
Warwick Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Warwick Courthouse Marker
Inscription. By tradition, early Warwick County court sessions were held under a large elm tree at nearby Richneck Plantation, home of Col. Miles Cary, Jr. In 1810, Warwick’s first brick courthouse was built on this Denbigh site. It also served as clerk’s office and jail. In 1884, a large courthouse was erected on the same tract, the clerk retaining the old building. Both served Warwick County (later city) until merger with the city of Newport News, July 1, 1958.
 
Erected 1976 by Newport News Bar Association.
 
Location. 37° 7.801′ N, 76° 32.513′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Old Courthouse Way, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23608, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Warwick Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Warwick County Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Warwick Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Olivet Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Windmill Point
Marker in Newport News image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker in Newport News
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Two USCT Heroes (approx. 1.2 miles away); Providence Mennonite Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Young’s Mill (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Places
 
Original Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Original Courthouse
This original Warwick County Courthouse was erected in 1810. Today, it is a Virginia Historic Landmark.
New Warwick Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. New Warwick Courthouse
This larger courthouse was built in 1884, near the original courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,021 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement