Welcome to the Public Gardens
The Halifax Public Gardens is one of the finest surviving examples of Victorian Gardens in North America. It was established in 1874 by the amalgamation of two older gardens, the Nova Scotia Horticultural Society Garden (laid out in 1837) and an adjacent public park (opened in 1867). The Nova Scotia Horticultural Society objectives were to establish the best horticultural examples of vegetables, trees and choice flowers. The current site of the Public Gardens was formerly a swampy piece of ground covered with brambles. A grant of two thousand dollars from the City of Halifax enabled this new ground to be laid out as a free Public Garden for the citizens of Halifax.
[Balance of marker is public information, not historical]
Erected by The Friends of the Public Gardens.
Location. 44° 38.653′ N, 63° 34.861′ W. Marker is in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in Halifax Regional Municipality. Touch for map. Marker is just inside the Public Garden's NE corner entrance, near the intersection of South Park and Sackville Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5665 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3S9, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Public Gardens (here, next to this marker); Boer War Memorial Fountain
Also see . . . History of the Gardens. (Submitted on January 15, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 76 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.