Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Klamath Falls in Klamath County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The River Link

Link River Connecting the Past With the Present

 
 
The River Link Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, May 31, 2015
1. The River Link Marker
Inscription. The town of Linkville was founded along the lower end of the Link River on March 12, 1867, by pioneer settler George Nurse. By July of 1869, this pioneer used timber to construct the first bridge linking one side of the river to the other. A steel bridge replaced the original bridge in 1885. Then on Feb. 6, 1893, "Linkville" was officially changed to "Klamath Falls" just 26 years after its establishment. Later bridge, built in the same spot, were built in 1915 and 1931. Today, the trail along the west side provides opportunity for bird watching, fishing, bicycling and strolling outdoors.
 
Erected by U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, City of Klamath Falls, Partners For Fish & Wildlife.
 
Location. 42° 14.335′ N, 121° 48.429′ W. Marker is in Klamath Falls, Oregon, in Klamath County. Marker is on Link River Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Klamath Falls OR 97601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Legacy Link (within shouting distance of this marker); Eulalona (within shouting distance of this marker); Upper Klamath Lake (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oregon History - Upper Klamath Lake
The River Link Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, May 31, 2015
2. The River Link Marker
(approx. 0.4 miles away); George Nurse (approx. 1.3 miles away); Whitlock House (approx. 1 miles away); Marion Apartments (approx. 1 miles away); Pioneer Furtrader (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Klamath Falls.
 
More about this marker. Marker is one of two interpretive displays located within Putnam's Point, a small park
 
Regarding The River Link. The Link River bridge built in 1931 was demolished in 2013 and replaced with a new bridge.
 
Categories. Bridges & ViaductsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 22 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement