Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Athens in Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Red and Black

 
 
The Red and Black Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 10, 2008
1. The Red and Black Marker
Inscription. Student published the first issue of the University of Georgia's campus newspaper, The Red and Black, on Nov. 24, 1893, from offices in the Academic Building (now the Hunter-Holmes Academic Building). The tabloid boosted school spirit, promoted athletic programs and reported on cultural activities for the University's 212 students. The weekly paper was the official organ of the Athletic Council from 1895 to 1928, when it became a laboratory for the School of Journalism in the Commerce-Journalism Building. It was a semiweekly when it moved with the school to the Journalism Building in 1968 and changed to a broadsheet format. In 1980, The Red and Black became independent of the University, supported by advertising, directed by volunteer professionals and produced by students off campus. In 1991, publication was expanded from four to five days a week. The Red and Black has provided University students with valuable training and experience. Distinguished alumni include John E. Drewry, the first dean of the School of Journalism; many acclaimed publishers, editors and writers; leaders in broadcasting, public relations and advertising; and recipients of Pulitzer Prizes, Peabody and Academy Awards.
 
Erected 1994 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 029-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 57.429′ N, 83° 22.537′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Clarke County. Marker is on Herty Drive 0 miles south of Broad Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located behind the Academic Building on the North Campus, University of Georgia. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Toombs Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Herty Field (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stoneman Raid (about 500 feet away); Abraham Baldwin (about 600 feet away); Old College (about 700 feet away); First Garden Club (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyArts, Letters, MusicEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,216 times since then and 23 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement