Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

History of Local Telephone Service

 
 
History of Local Telephone Service Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
1. History of Local Telephone Service Marker
Inscription.
"Working Together"
as Partners in Communications and Education
A RESEARCH PROJECT BY GRIFFIN CREEK STUDENTS
SALUTES THE HISTORY OF LOCAL TELEPHONE SERVICE
First Phone Line - 1890
Sunset Telephone Company - 1898
Home Telephone Company - 1910
Pacific Telephone and Telegraph - 1935
Pacific Northwest Bell - 1961
U S WEST Communications - 1984


Jacksonville was started with the cry of "Gold" in 1852, and within a matter of months grew to over 1000 people.

This was nearly a quarter of a century before the telephone was invented.

In late 1890 the first telephone line to Medford was built by Dr. Will Jackson and A.L. Reuter.

When the line opened for business it proved to be a great novelty for local folks. The rate was 15 cents for the first ten words and 10 cents for each additional ten words. There were only the two telephones, one at each end of the line.

By 1899 a regular telephone exchange was established. Ten subscribers were served by this exchange, which looked similar to the one being displayed at your right.

As time went on, Jacksonville phones grew to a dial system and moved into the computer age in 1973 with the most modern communications available.

However, the speed of communications today still
History of Local Telephone Service Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 25, 2013
2. History of Local Telephone Service Marker
can't compare with the speed with which the cry "that's Gold" spread through the area before the turn of the century.
 
Erected 1991 by U S WEST Communications and Griffin Creek School.
 
Location. 42° 18.878′ N, 122° 58.12′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of North Oregon Street and E California St (Oregon Route 238), on the right when traveling south on North Oregon Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville OR 97530, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. China Quarter (within shouting distance of this marker); Rogue River Valley Railroad Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II Three Trees Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); History Right Here - Furniture Fabrication (within shouting distance of this marker); History Right Here - Horse Powers (within shouting distance of this marker); Beekman Bank Well (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Undermining the Great Depression (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Categories. CommunicationsIndustry & Commerce
 
History of Local Telephone Service Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
3. History of Local Telephone Service Marker
History of Local Telephone Service image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
4. History of Local Telephone Service
History of Local Telephone Service image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
5. History of Local Telephone Service
History of Local Telephone Service image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, March 9, 2013
6. History of Local Telephone Service
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 56 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 17, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement