Lowell in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The eight miles of river bottomlands between Lowell and Oakridge are now deep beneath the waters of Lookout Point Reservoir. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the region was known as "Rush Island," and boasted three towns - Carter, Landax (later called Signal), and Reserve - that were home to an assortment of subsistence farmers, squatters, and workers from logging and railroad camps.
Until the 1950s, the town of Reserve was Forest Service headquarters for the West Boundary Ranger District.
Between the mid-1870s and 1904, hops were one of the most important Upper Willamette Valley cash crops. In the 1890s, there were six hop yards, like this
Location. 43° 54.544′ N, 122° 46.768′ W. Marker is in Lowell, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker can be reached from S Pioneer St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lowell OR 97452, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Frontier Life (here, next to this marker); Building a Bridge (here, next to this marker); Lowell Covered Bridge (here, next to this marker); Lowell Prospers (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Lowell Prospers (a few steps from this marker); Touring the Past (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elijah Bristow (approx. 8.7 miles away); Bristow Monument (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lowell.
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.