Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gamble in Kitsap County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Port Gamble General Store & Office

 
 
Port Gamble General Store & Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
1. Port Gamble General Store & Office Marker
Inscription. Port Gamble's first store opened for business before the mill was up and running. It sold merchandise to employees, Indians, settlers, ships, and logging camps. This is the town's fifth store building and the first to be located on the bluff. Earlier stores stood on the shore since many customers arrived by water. Company offices are housed on the north side of the building. The Port Gamble Historic Museum is at the back.
 
Location. 47° 51.343′ N, 122° 35.028′ W. Marker is in Port Gamble, Washington, in Kitsap County. Marker is on North Rainier Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gamble WA 98364, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fire Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Lodge No. 5 (within shouting distance of this marker); WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House (within shouting distance of this marker); Community Hall / Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); New York House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarence R. & Lulu (Hovey) Cranmer House (within shouting
Port Gamble General Store & Office image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
2. Port Gamble General Store & Office
distance of this marker); Morrill S. Pope House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); M.S. Drew House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gamble.
 
Regarding Port Gamble General Store & Office. Historylink.org provides additional history: The first structures built by the Puget Mill Co. partners in 1853 were a general store, a cookhouse, and a bunkhouse. The store sat close to the wharves and to visiting ships.

The current structure was erected in 1916 on the bluff above the mill. The store was always the centerpiece of the mill town where employees and their families purchased food, dry goods, preserved meats, supplies, and convenience items. A bulletin board displayed news clippings. From offices upstairs, the superintendent and his managers ran Puget Mill Co. Employees received their pay here, in cash, daily if they chose. Payment was made in fifty cent pieces. Prices at the store were generally higher than in Seattle, but storekeepers were willing to order just about anything that customers wanted.

In 2003, the store still operates. The Port Gamble Museum is on the lower level.
 
Also see . . .  Port Gamble online tour. (Submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement