Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gamble in Kitsap County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Port Gamble Market

1903

 
 
Port Gamble Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
1. Port Gamble Market Marker
Inscription. Here the company sold meat and vegetables raised by local farmers. The building was remodeled into a garage after the market moved into the store building in 1916
 
Location. 47° 51.277′ N, 122° 35.032′ W. Marker is in Port Gamble, Washington, in Kitsap County. Marker is on North Rainier Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gamble WA 98364, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. M.S. Drew House (a few steps from this marker); Daniel B. Jackson House (a few steps from this marker); Leo & Goldie Hammersmith House (within shouting distance of this marker); Morrill S. Pope House (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarence R. & Lulu (Hovey) Cranmer House (within shouting distance of this marker); New York House (within shouting distance of this marker); WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Lodge No. 5 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gamble.
 
Regarding Port Gamble Market. Historylink.org provides additional history: Beginning in 1903, the market, which stands in the shadow of Port Gamble's twin water tanks, supplied
Port Gamble Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
2. Port Gamble Market Marker
fresh produce and meat to town residents and neighboring farmers and loggers. Before the market opened, these foods were sold out of the cookhouse down close to the mill. Port Gamble relied heavily on crops raised locally by farmers who frequently earned cash by working at the mill.

(Farmers could trade fresh food for dry goods at the general store down close to the mill. Store ledgers show the sale of beef, mutton, and veal, but no pork or chicken (perhaps raised by the residents themselves).

In 1916, fresh food sales moved to the new general store down the street and the market building became a garage to support residents growing interest in automobiles.

In 2003, the market serves as an antique store.
 
Also see . . .  Port Gamble online tour. (Submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Port Gamble Market image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
3. Port Gamble Market
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement