Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gamble in Kitsap County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House

1878-1979

 
 
WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
1. WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House Marker
Inscription. William Walker, master mechanic, lived here with his wife Emma, daughter Maude, and son-in-law Edwin Ames. The house was close to the mill so Walker was nearby in case of emergencies. Ames was the resident manager from 1883-194 and then general manager until 1931. This is the rear of the house. It faced the waterfront to welcome ships and captains.
 
Location. 47° 51.32′ N, 122° 35.028′ W. Marker is in Port Gamble, Washington, in Kitsap County. Marker is on North Rainier Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gamble WA 98364, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New York House (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Lodge No. 5 (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarence R. & Lulu (Hovey) Cranmer House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Gamble General Store & Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Morrill S. Pope House (within shouting distance of this marker); M.S. Drew House (within shouting distance of this marker); Community Hall / Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gamble.
 
Regarding WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House.
WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, January 1, 2000
2. WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House
Historylink.org provides additional history: The resident manager at the Port Gamble mill had the biggest house with the best view of the mill. In 1885, the house burned down and it was replaced by this structure in 1888 in the Queen Anne Style popular at the time. Edwin Ames was the resident manager and was single and did not need a large house so, Master Mechanic William Walker and his wife Emma lived there. William took charge of the Fourth of July fireworks and Emma played the organ at church.

Edwin Ames married William's daughter Maude and the two couples shared the home until 1900, when Edwin and Maude moved into a new house.

(As of) 2003, the house is used for weddings and other celebrations.
 
Also see . . .  Port Gamble online tour. (Submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, January 1, 2000
3. WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House
WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
4. WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House Marker
WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
5. WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House
WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, January 1, 2000
6. WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement