Port Gamble in Kitsap County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
St. Paul's Church
Location. 47° 51.137′ N, 122° 35.053′ W. Marker is in Port Gamble, Washington, in Kitsap County. Marker is on N Rainier Ave, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gamble WA 98364, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. David & Joyce Olson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Eugene & Ann DeFord House (within shouting distance of this marker); James & Sarah Thompson House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leo & Goldie Hammersmith House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Daniel B. Jackson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Port Gamble Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); M.S. Drew House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morrill S. Pope House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gamble.
Regarding St. Paul's Church. Historylink.org provides additional history: In 1860, Superintendent Josiah Keller built a community
Members of the congregation purchased their pews and this practice reflected class distinctions in Port Gamble. By 1913, Congregational attendance dropped off and Baptists used the church as well. Regular services ended in the 1920s. In 1931, the religious affiliation of the church changed to Episcopal, reflecting the faith of the resident manager. The congregation changed the sanctuary, the pew arrangement and the location of the lectern, and added an altar. Pope and Talbot restored the church in 1973 and returned the steeple to its original height.
Also see . . . Port Gamble online tour. (Submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.