Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wessington Springs in Jerauld County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Wessington Springs Roadside Park

 
 
Wessington Springs Roadside Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, August 9, 2017
1. Wessington Springs Roadside Park Marker
Inscription.
Wood and water were essential to pioneer road builders and in 1857, when the Fort Ridgely & South Pass Wagon Road was built by Col. W.H. Nobles, the springs at Wessington Hills was a natural on the Reconnaissance to the Missouri River. On the return, when mounds were erected every ¼ mile, Samuel A. Medary, the Engineer, said: ‘A favorable ascent of the coteaus on a narrow divide between two ravines…forming an easy grade to the highlands.’ That grade is directly east ½ mile. First known to white men when LaFramboise, enroute by cart, to Ft. Pierre in 1817 passed; it had been known to Indians for centuries as their artifacts, of tribes other than the Sioux, marked this as a rendezvous. It was on a second official thoroughfare when the Minnesota & Powder River Wagon Road of 1865, located by George N. Propper as Engineer for W.W. Brookings, Superintendent, made this a point enroute up this same easy grade. Tradition has a trapper named Wessington killed near the Springs in 1862. The first settler, Levi Haines, who built a cabin at the foot of the hill, was here in 1876 and in 1878 Wessington P.O. Peter R. Barrett, P.M., was established, renamed Elmer in 1882 and finally Wessington Springs in 1884.
 
Erected 1960 by R.E. Dean and State Highway Commission.
 
Location.
Wessington Springs Roadside Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, August 9, 2017
2. Wessington Springs Roadside Park Marker
44° 4.502′ N, 98° 34.49′ W. Marker is in Wessington Springs, South Dakota, in Jerauld County. Marker can be reached from 228th Street (State Highway 34) 0.3 miles west of Dakota Ave S.. Touch for map. This marker is located in a wayside park off state hwy 34. Marker is in this post office area: Wessington Springs SD 57382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert S. Vessey (a few steps from this marker); Rube Goldberg Ski Lift Gadget (within shouting distance of this marker); Stratton Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wessington Springs, South Dakota Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Shakespeare Garden/Ann Hathaway Cottage (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Shakespeare Garden (approx. 0.6 miles away).
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement