Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Puebla in Municipality of Puebla, Mexico — The Central Highlands
 

Portal Hidalgo

 
 
Portal Hidalgo Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 1, 2017
1. Portal Hidalgo Marker
Inscription.

Portal Hidalgo
El actual Portal Hidalgo fue conocido desde el siglo XVI como Portal de la Audiencia, ya que con este se designaba a la sede del gobiemo de la ciudad.

La arquería del portal fue obra de Álvaro de Caceres, quien unió dos tramos por el centro con un gran arco, frente al pasaje que divide la manzana, en el que sabemos, por documentos del siglo XVI, se vendía pan.

Gracias a un plano de 1814, se sabe que el tramo de la arquería frente al actual Palacio Municipal era denominado “Portal de Palacio”, mientras que la zona que va del actual Pasaje del Ayuntamiento a la calle 5 de Mayo era denominado "Portal de los chileros". Un hecho histórico que hoy nos parece extraño es que por acuerdo del Ayuntamiento en 1820, se prohibió que se expusieran en este Portal los cadáveres de los ahogados o los muertos en riña, ordenándose que se llevaran al hospital de San Pedro.

En 1852, los antiguos nombres de los portales fueron cambiados por los de los héroes de la Independencia. Así, el Portal de la Audiencia fue denominado Portal Hidalgo, nombre que conserva hasta nuestros días.

English:
Portal Hidalgo
The current Portal Hidalgo was known since the 16th century as "Audience Portal" since the place where the City's government was located was referred to by that
Portal Hidalgo Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, December 1, 2017
2. Portal Hidalgo Marker
The marker is to the left in this view, mounted to a column of the Portal Hidalgo.
name. The portal’s arcade is work of Álvaro de Cáceres who bonded two segments of walls with an arch, facing the walkway that divides the block, in which bread was sold, according to documents from the 16th Century.

Thanks to a map dating from the year 1814, it is know that the arcade section in front of the current Municipal Palace was called “Palace Portal”, meanwhile the area comprising the Town Hall walkway to the 5 de Mayo street was named “Chili sellers Portal”. A peculiar historical fact is that in 1820, the exhibition in this portal of drowned people or those who died in fights was prohibited by the City Council and it was mandated to take the bodies to the San Pedro hospital. In 1852, the old names were changed for the ones of the Independence heroes. Thus the “Audience Portal” was changed to “Hidalgo Portal” name by which it is still known today.
 
Location. 19° 2.627′ N, 98° 11.831′ W. Marker is in Puebla, Puebla, in Municipality of Puebla. Marker is at the intersection of Avenida Don Juan Palafox y Mendoza and Calle 2 Norte, on the left when traveling east on Avenida Don Juan Palafox y Mendoza. Touch for map.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Portal of the Audience (here, next to this marker); The Oriental Bank Building (a few steps from this marker); Granting the Coat of Arms to the City of Angels (1538) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Municipal Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); The Main Square and Fountain of San Miguel (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Plaza de la Democracia (about 180 meters away); The Oath to Independence in the City of Puebla... (about 180 meters away); First Speech by Francisco Madero in Puebla (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Puebla.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 69 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 19, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Paid Advertisement